The latest and greatest Sonos software

Posted on November 29th, 2011 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

Sonos Controller on Kindle Fire

Today Sonos introduced its latest free software update, Sonos software 3.6. The new version comes complete with more control and more musical goodness for all Sonos lovers.

Starting at the top is support for Android tablets. Download the free Sonos Controller for Android in the Android Market and take control with your favorite smartphone or tablet, including the Kindle Fire. The controller app intelligently scales the screen layout to take advantage of the tablet’s larger screen size, making it ideal for seeing your zones, music menu, now playing pane and volume controls all at once. Plus, we’ve included new enhancements like alarms, music library management and Twitter support for smartphones and tablets alike.

Next in our innovation queue–more music. Now Sonos users in the U.S. and Canada can tune in for free to 150 expert-programmed stations and create their own on Slacker Radio. Plus, we’ve enhanced the Sonos Spotify experience, and have added support for the AAC+ music format. The update also introduces Sonos Labs, which will provide a place for users to experiment with up-and-coming music services.

Last but not least, a little icing on the cake for our fans from Denmark or Norway. Sonos Controllers now support Danish and Norwegian on Sonos controllers.

iPhone controller in Norwegian & Danish

iPhone controller and others now offer Norwegian & Danish

Posted on November 29th, 2011 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

98 Responses to “The latest and greatest Sonos software”

Peter DöbeliNovember 30th, 2011 at 1:08 am

Was mich an der aktuellen Software stört sind vorallem zwei Dinge. Erstens werden die Covers (von iTunes nur zu einem kleinen Teil sauber dargestellt) und zweitens finde ich es ärgerlich, dass nicht alle Songs von iTunes übernommen werden. Es gibt da immer wieder Probleme und ich verstehe immer noch nicht ganz, woher sie kommen.
Eine WiFi-Verbindung vom iPad ähnlich wie sie über AppleTV funktioniert wäre wünschenswert, dann bräuchte es die Sonos-Software gar nicht. Die Lautsprecher sind nämlich echt super!

Paul GroveNovember 30th, 2011 at 3:47 am

Maybe next time you can assure the Android update is released before you send out the update. I updated from my laptop, then found Android clients would not work and no update in sight? Lucky I have an old iPhone I could use!

Fiede - SonosNovember 30th, 2011 at 4:07 am

Hallo Peter – vielen Dank fuer das Feedback. Die iTunes-Cover geben wir wieder, sofern die richtig in die Musikdateien eingebunden sind. Falls es da Probleme gibt, dann kann unser Support-Team helfen. Unter gibt es ausserdem mehrere Anleitungen zum Thema.

Es sollten alle Titel aus iTunes wiedergegebene werden, es sei denn, diese sind vor mehreren Jahren bei iTunes gekauft worden. Damals hatte Apple einen Kopierschutz implementiert, den nur Apple-Produkte wiedergeben konnten.Mit “WiFi-Verbindung vom iPad” ist AirPlay gemeint? Das unterstuetzen wir unter Einbindung einer Apple Airport Express: http://www.sonos/com/airplay

P SimonsNovember 30th, 2011 at 6:36 am

Why didn’t Canadian Sonos users receive notification when Napster decided to CANCEL ALL SERVICES?!?! Sonos still hasn’t notified its users. Thanks a lot!!
All my libraries are gone…Now what?

FabihaNovember 30th, 2011 at 7:35 am

Any chance of an AirPlay update? Even if it requires a hardware update, it’d be a great feature to use with visitors’ iOS devices.

LoualexNovember 30th, 2011 at 10:56 am

“To get all the latest features, all it takes is a one-button software update. Give it a try and let us know what you think!”  I sure it is here and that I am either blind or dumb but where is the “one button” to get the software update?

SonosNovember 30th, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi Loualex – If you are using the iPad controller, it is under Settings > Software Update. Any other controllers, it should show up on the main menu. Let us know if you’re still having issues!

SonosNovember 30th, 2011 at 11:25 am

Hi Micah – Unfortunately, that is true. The backend DRM process interfered with the simple and seamless experience we strive to offer with Sonos.

Leon DoeswijkNovember 30th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Great update! Can find “new releases” direct within Spotify now. So I don’t have to use the Spotify-app anymore to find whats new in music world. Thanks!!

bastienNovember 30th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Sonos should develop it’s own music discovery service, leveraging and spotify accounts. Would be a killer feature to have album and artists suggestions based on what you actually listen. To be included in the 4.0 roadmap !

Joe W.November 30th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

This is great but I’m on this page now to see if there is any information around when there will be software for use on Windows Phones.  As you likely know, Gartner projects WP to be second only to Android by 2013 (thanks mainly to the Nokia adoption).  Makes sense to start with Android and iOS, but hope there are folks working on WP as well.  Thanks!

hchudekDecember 1st, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hi, as i hav e a lot of audible files, i am interested in the aac+ format enhancement. But my .aax-files   does not show up in the library. I thougt, audible-files wit aac+ encoding are the ones with the ending .aax ?
Do i have to change the ending from .aax to .aa or is the aac+ another format and / or not suppported ?

J GatieDecember 1st, 2011 at 3:40 am

Can you guys tell me what improvements 3.6 contains for people who you know, actually play music from their own libraries?

NickDecember 1st, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Any technical reason why you guys still haven’t rolled out support for Spotify playlist folders? Personally, I would have *much* preferred a way to manage my ever-growing list of playlists, than getting the latest Lady Gaga releases…

SonosDecember 1st, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hi Nick – We are constantly updating our software and will continue to improve on the Spotify experience to bring people the features they want.

Gary, UKDecember 1st, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I’d love to be able to snooze my alarms & see this is included for Android devices, any idea when this feature is coming to iOS or is there an issue that prevents this feature working?

DuncanmccDecember 2nd, 2011 at 4:03 am

Bid sonos fan, and the spotify enhancements are welcome – but here’s a few things you really really need to add: search spotify and be able to add a playlist to your spotify account, or add a track to a playlist.
And the most important feature – making browsing music better. Show more album art, in a bigger browsing experience. The album art doesn’t seem to show most of the time, not from my own library and not from spotify, and making the album covers bigger so I can browse my collection much like I would browse a cd shelf, this would make sonos truly great. It’s technically very clever, but browsing and choosing music could be sooomuch better.

NegDecember 3rd, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I am really missing a shuffle function on the sonos controller for iPhone and Ipad. Will that be incorporated in furure updates?

CeesarDecember 3rd, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Sorry, this isn’t an acceptable answer … by removing WMDRM supportb (which, by the way, you neglect to mention in your release notes), you’ve negated my primary use model streaming music downloaded on Zune. When will WMDRM be re-enabled?

BcatDecember 4th, 2011 at 11:34 am

It would be nice if the Blackberry OS controller were released soon.  I purchased the Playbook based on the fact that Sonos had indicated that the controller would be released “shortly”.

Wolfgang RömerDecember 5th, 2011 at 1:37 am

I really like the Sonos App. On my Android Phone as well as on my iPad. BUT have you used the “Groove” App for iPad. That really rocks! Sonos should have a look at it.

SonosDecember 5th, 2011 at 9:42 am

Hi Magnus – we don’t pre-announce future features, but we take all requests into consideration and pass them on to our dev team.

Chipper111December 6th, 2011 at 3:10 am

Love the sonos softwhere (on PC). a couple of things that bug me are:-
* The Volume slider is to small, makes it difficult to adjust when playing loud.
* You have a crossover option which is fine,  but would it not be better if you were able to
add tracks straight away to an exsisting list and  crossfade into the exsisting playing track.
I have my fingers crossed. thx.

TommyboyDecember 6th, 2011 at 7:30 am

Bit of topic..

Hi I’m a Custom Intergrator, and one of the problems that bug me about the control app( iPhone and iPad) is that everytime i go from customer to customer and want to connect my device to their system I always have to reset the control. I also have customers who have multiple systems office, home, beach house etc. and they have to go into the basement or the media closet, (I dont want them touching anithing in there)  Can you please (if its possble) to have a library or a save list for remmembering more than one controler. Thank you.  CI in NJ

Big BobDecember 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am

Would like to see a nicer interface for my MAC.  My controller and iPad and iPhones all have a nice looking interface, when I go in on my MAC it’s old school. Just a thought.

Kyle MACDecember 6th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Hi Sonos – Thanks for the latest update.  Is there any way to use the droid tablet in landscape mode like the ipad.  We love our system  Thanks Kyle

DebsDecember 8th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Please, please support existing long term users. I have been using sonos for nearly 10 years and have over 65,000 songs and have to keep deleting or splitting music across databases. Lots of us have asked for Sonos to increase the ability to managed bigger databases. when are you actually going to provide this? I have six zones and really am fed up with having to manually manage my database. Surely this request which has being promised/discussed for at least three years should actually be forthcoming now. Please give a proper reply. Thanks

BK RacerDecember 13th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I am considering buying a Sonos system.  Is there any way at all that I can access the music downloaded and purchased from Zune that is loaded in my Zune software on my PC.  This is purchased music and not music from the Zune pass.

SonosDecember 14th, 2011 at 11:31 am

Hi BK – It depends entirely on DRM. The best course of action is to check the info on your music files for any copy-protection that lists PlaysForSure or DRM. If the files do not have DRM, they will play on Sonos.

tssfJanuary 6th, 2012 at 10:51 am

+1 on the Windows Phone request!  I know you can’t announce anything now, but having a Sonos app on every device in a household is a must-have for me.  Sonos has totally changed the way I listen to music and I think this app will be a key for me!  Thanks for the great iPad and iPhone apps btw!

JonathanJanuary 7th, 2012 at 7:02 am

Oh yes. I love the Sonos Software on iPhone and Android – hate the Sonos Desktop Controller. It just looks like 1998. (on Mac). There are some Features, that are must-haves:
– Playlists – can’t select several Items with CTRL or SHIFT. Not nice.
– Search (also on iOs/Android) – why is there no “type to search” ? Why do I have to select “Interpret” or “Album” first? That’s too slow.
– Would be nice, if there would be an Option to controll the software via Keyboard – also if it’s in the background. Just Play, Next, Mute etc.
– Items should be able to move via Drag&Drop. Just take the iPad Software and compile it for Mac OS – that would be sooo nice! On the iPad, it’s a dream.

David ArendtJanuary 26th, 2012 at 7:49 am

Many android tablets are stored in cradles (landscape orientation).  It seems like a no-brainer for the sonos software also to work in landscape.  Is there a plan to implement this in the future?

RichFebruary 5th, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hi, I’m a disabled adult who loves listening to music. The Sonos seems to tick all the boxes for me, however because I use a communication aid to do all my environmental controls, is there any chance of making the windows software more graphical like the ipad version and is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts to do everyhting the softwar does, so that it can be programmed into my communication aid. Thanks for your time.

Sonos Support TeamFebruary 10th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi Rich,

Thank you for reaching out.  We don’t share information on any products not currently listed on our webpage.  That said, we realize and consider this a feature enhancement and have submitted on your (and others) behalf.  I believe our decision was that you would unfortunately have to use a communication aid for the Sonos software in the mean time.

johnFebruary 25th, 2012 at 8:52 am

Feature request: integrate the sonos player software on other devices! the queue is unique when compared to other players and the gui is so user friendly why not make it available for Android devices and even apple ware. one step further, enable the sonos player app to download music from nas server to local device queue. Commercially interesting too as the player quality may convince new customers to turn to sonos products.

JohngFebruary 27th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

WTF is up with you guys ignoring requests for 24/96 support?  When you do get this, I’m ready to buy 10 of your boxes – but not before.

Morten PedersenMarch 2nd, 2012 at 1:49 am

I have changed mobile – from iPhone 4 to Nokia Lumia 800. Great phone. But I was chocked when I realised that there are no Sonos app for Windows…………….!!!! When can I get that?

SonosMarch 2nd, 2012 at 8:50 am

Hi Morten – No plans to announce on an official controller app for Windows Phone 7 at this time, but if you search online, you may find an “alternative” to tide you over. :)

Erik NettekovenMarch 11th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I am eagerly waiting for the Windows Phone App! From the comments below I understand Sonos “has nothing to announce” but I am still hoping that Sonos is already developing a Windows Phone version! The alternative (Phonos), is way TOO expensive and lacks important functionality!

gks_64March 13th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Just got my Sonos Connect, and I am impressed :-) But all things have a downside, and finding no app for my new Lumina 800 was a real turn-off. Hope you guys see the light real soon.

KevinApril 2nd, 2012 at 2:18 am

Add to the Windows Phone 7.5 app clamor…

Also… while I’m here:
1. A simple “stop” button to go along with the play on the controller… Pause is just not the same. :)
2. A simple “off” button for the alarm…
3. I’ll be the 1,345,354 vote for up to 24/192 compatablity and output… This is a no brainer… if you buy a sonos system you are at least somewhat serious about your music (and quality).

StuartmlambertApril 19th, 2012 at 11:39 am

+1 on the Windows Phone request. Like tssf if Sonos is to be worth all the money and really deliver for me, I need it to work on all my devices – iphone, ipad, laptop PC and Windows Phone.

T.May 3rd, 2012 at 5:10 pm

i can not update my sonos app (not on my iphone  and not on my iPad) after i downloaded the new sonos software on my computer
no music the whole system is not working anymore…i just have problems with sonos!!!!
what can i do?
with the old software eveyting was working…
And there is no one who can help me !!!!
This is the most expensive and awful music system i ever had…i spend thousand of Euro for something witch is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony31ukMay 6th, 2012 at 6:23 am

i have lost my installation disc and need it to put on my new computer, how do i get one

deekMay 11th, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Sonsos stopped working on 2 HTC evo’s…not sure when, but system works from pc and normal controller, but not Android. Already tried uninstall/delete SD data/reinstall….no love, any idea when the next update will be?

PuttMay 17th, 2012 at 5:18 am

My system is controlled by windows XP computer.  I have systems at home and work and cannot control both with with my iPhone.  The forced software upgrade does not work on XP.  I now have three players at work that no longer work.  Customer service refuses to call me.  Very frustrated by this whole experience!!!  Our system has not worked since the “upgrade”!

BobbynobbyMay 30th, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’ve been eyeing the Play:5 but won’t buy one until there is a Windows 7 Phone app. I would love a Windows 8 Metro app as well. I’m running the preview on my tablet and live it.

Please, please, please make a Win7Phone app.

RcsuhtaJune 5th, 2012 at 8:06 am

WMA PRO. I unwittingly copied approx 400 CDs onto my computer using WMA PRO fromat which I recently discovered is an unsupported SONOS format. Is there a way to convert WMA PRO to plain WMA?

JanJune 17th, 2012 at 3:03 am

Come on Sonos can’t you do better than this? It is disappointing….. Please let us have an app for Win Phones…..

Anders BerghagenJune 24th, 2012 at 7:00 am

When will there be an “outdoor” version of a Sonos player? Love to have one in my garden!

ti33erAugust 31st, 2012 at 3:27 am

I was just about to buy a SONOS CONNECT but discovered it is limited to 16/44 !? …the SONOS is an ideal solution for me but I can’t commit with this limitation …it is nearly Christmas, please update and also sort out the Clocking/Jitter (there are lots of rip-off aftermarket modifications and I am sure SONOS could refine this at factory) which would make it a World Class source. Best regards SONOS Dev Team :-)

kikalukaOctober 14th, 2012 at 8:20 am

Nokia has a great free music streaming app for Windows phones: Nokia Music. Disappointing Sonos doesn’t integrate with Windows Phone…