Our Vision for Rock-Solid Wireless, Evolved

Posted on April 17th, 2014 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

From the archives: drawing of the original Sonos architecture, 2003.

From the archives: drawing of the original Sonos architecture, 2003.

We created the Sonos Wireless HiFi System to provide music lovers, like ourselves, everything we dreamed of for music in our homes – legendary sound and an easy, reliable way to play anything imaginable with freedom from the barriers of speaker cables. This essentially involved finding a way to make the wires invisible.

The network we created for music in your home, SonosNet, is our solution for the simple and reliable wireless experience you enjoy today. Starting from one component (in most cases, the Sonos BRIDGE) wired to your Internet router, our products communicate with one another to construct a wireless mesh network dedicated to your music. This ensures rock-solid signal strength with no interruption, even throughout the largest homes.

Wireless technology has improved over the last 10 years and alongside other investments in evolving your experience with the changing times, we are preparing to take SonosNet to the next level.

Today, we want to share our vision for the next step in wireless HiFi. We’ve found a way to deliver all the benefits of SonosNet without a product directly connected to your router. This new software solution will make Sonos simpler than ever. Start with a speaker and your smartphone, enter your WiFi password and Sonos takes care of the rest.

We will maintain the core function of SonosNet so that – when several players are linked together as a group – they continue to communicate directly with one another, keeping your music in perfect sync. There are some large homes, where all players are not in the range of the WiFi signal or challenging network environments, that will still benefit from the Sonos BRIDGE, but our diagnostics and early testing show that the majority of homes will work well with the new software solution.

To make sure we continue to deliver the most reliable and compatible system possible, we are conducting the most thorough and extensive real-world testing of this new software functionality that we’ve ever undertaken. You will hear more about this beta program in the coming weeks. Until we complete testing of this technology, wiring a BRIDGE (or other Sonos product) to your router is required.

For consideration in joining our Beta program, fill out this application.

Posted on April 17th, 2014 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

98 Responses to “Our Vision for Rock-Solid Wireless, Evolved”

RainerApril 17th, 2014 at 6:47 am

do i’ve to use wifi? My current setup is LAN only with a CR 200 for control. Wifi for some android devices via Sonosnet.

Nobu FukuharaApril 17th, 2014 at 8:20 am

YouTube and Vimeo and all the video players must be incorporated into the Sonos appli. That is the most annoying thing.

Andrew KippenApril 17th, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Team Sonos – congrats on the achievement! I’ve been a happy Sonos user for 3 years now. It wakes me up with NPR in the morning via TuneIn, gets me dancing with Soundcloud playlists on the weekend, and lulls me to sleep with nature sounds from Spotify at night.

Everyone who visits my place and uses it… loves it.

Keep up the good work!

DenisApril 18th, 2014 at 7:18 am

Removing the bridge is OK, having a bridge that is more useful is better !
What’s about adding a Host USB port on the bridge to connect a 2.5 HD as a NAS for music ?

swedishfanApril 19th, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Great news from Sonos, so hopefully you are now able to give us all what we have been asking for for years – a rechargeable speaker that we can take out and about with us! I have got the Google Play Music App to use with Chromescast and am delighted that I can use this directly with my sonos speaker without having to use the Sonos App! Brilliant, the app is awesome but so many people are used to playing to a speaker direct from their music app and this is now available from Sonos.

Z1pp0April 20th, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I bought my sonos system 10 days ago. Bridge included. I ma SO disappointed i spent money for nothing

JohnApril 23rd, 2014 at 4:45 am

So if one component (out of several) is outside of decent WiFi range, but within Sonos mesh network range, does that mean that a bridge (or other cable-connected component) needs to be used?
A few more details on how this would work would be nice.

Sonos Support TeamApril 25th, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hi Z1pp0, if your BRIDGE was purchased directly from Sonos within the last 45 days (60 days in Europe and the UK), and was not part of a free BRIDGE promotion, you may return it under our 45-day money-back guarantee.
If you’re currently using the BRIDGE, you’re getting the benefit of a dedicated wireless network for your players. We hope that removing the first wire requirement will make it easier for new customers to get started with Sonos and to offer greater flexibility when deciding how to set up Sonos in your home.

Sonos Support TeamApril 25th, 2014 at 10:48 am

Hi John, while this feature is undergoing Beta testing we aren’t currently divulging technical details. Rest assured that when it’s released, you’ll still have all functionality which currently exists within SonosNet, along with some new options as well.

Sonos Support TeamMay 2nd, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi Mike, if you’re experiencing any audio issues with the PLAYBAR itself, please give us a call on our Customer Care phone line. We’ll want to take a closer look at the hardware with you so we can help solve the problem. Our contact information can be found here: http://www.sonos.com/contact.

Byron C MayesMay 13th, 2014 at 11:12 am

This sounds great! For the record, it should be “There are some large homes, where not all players are in the range of the WiFi signal…”

If “all players are not in range of the WiFi signal” currently, then the system isn’t functioning at all because nothing is attached to WiFi.

BarrettMay 15th, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi, will there be any change in the way that one can stream audio from a record player? Will the connect be replaced with another device any time soon?

Oscar0321May 21st, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Hello team Sonos. I am very glad to hear the bridge will be replaced with software. Congratulations. Also, I was wondering , why do I need Spotify premium? I think spotify on the sonos app should be like the actual spotify app, which lets you play any music you would like even if it has to be in a shuffle mode as it is in the iPhone version of the app. On iPad and PC, spotify users are able to play any song they want without premium. I would love to see the same capability through the Sonos app. I was disappointed to find out you needed a premium subscription to use spotify. It just isn’t fair.

WRAMay 22nd, 2014 at 3:32 am

Nice idea to eliminate the hardwired connection. I hope quality won’t suffer. Personally I’m fine with the bridge. I’ve actually hardwired my playes wherever possible. What I would really like is the opportunity to switch of the lights on the bridge in my bedroom. Next update?

Sonos Support TeamMay 23rd, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Hi Battett, we don’t have any plans to replace the CONNECT at this time. You can stream from a record player by attaching the line-in to a CONNECT, CONNECT:AMP, or PLAY:5. Many record players will require a phono pre-amp before the line-in connection.

DennyMay 29th, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I am on the verge of buying Sonos Play 1 + Bridge and now I am not sure whether the above mentioned vision will make my investment in this Bridge obsolete (assuming no WiFi issues etc). May I ask: will be a firmware (software) update that will allow me to upgrade and use the current model of Sonos Play 1 without a bridge or will it require me to buy a new speaker instead?

Sonos Support TeamMay 30th, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hi Denny, this is a software solution so no hardware upgrades or replacements will be needed. Once your PLAY:1 is using the new software, it’ll be able to connect to your network without a wired BRIDGE. A wired BRIDGE will still provide the benefit of having a dedicated wireless network (SonosNet) for your Sonos players though.

TopherJune 2nd, 2014 at 5:08 am

Is there an ETA on this being available? I currently have my play 1 connected via Ethernet. I was thinking of moving the speaker and buying a bridge. However if the bridge won’t be necessary in the next few months, I can wait. I know you can’t commit to a date but are you able to tell me if this is something in the coming months or are we looking at the coming years?

gilahackerJune 10th, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Ditto. I was about to pull the trigger on a Sonos PLAY:5, but don’t want to have to mess with a bridge.

MondoTechnoirJune 14th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I am ready to buy a Sonos Play One (yes keep in mind your market segment of starters without disposable income) and I am hesitant on placing my order until SonosNet is fully wireless. The 6-month GooglePlay offer ends in July 5th 2014, what’s a person-in-a-budget to do?

I live in an apartment and I do not want a Bridge if it won’t be useful soon – even if it was free it won’t work for small homes so 6 months of free streaming are a more attractive deal.

Any updates on your deadline or alternative offers? e.g. free Spotify Premium.

Ray MillerJune 15th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I am a new sonos user and have just purchased a play 1 to get started. I want to listen to the sonos on my deck and most likely purchase another speaker. My question is do I purchase a bridge or is the new update available? I would rather not have the bridge.

SatinJune 15th, 2014 at 9:41 pm

just curious, So if Z1pp0 had indeed returned the bridge, and you still haven’t released the ‘bridge-free’ solution out of BETA yet, how does one network your speakers.

more importantly, if I am considering buying a Sonos product, should I or shouldnt I buy a bridge now, as its been 2 months since this was posted??

NickJune 17th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Right now you still need a bridge. I can send you a referral link that lets you buy a sonos product from them and includes a free bridge. send me an email at nick at bonfatti dot net and I will send you the link for the free bridge.

NickJune 17th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Sorry, I should clarify that better. Some sonos pieces have ethernet ports built-in, but the play:1 (and maybe play:3?) requires the bridge to work.

NickJune 17th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I can send you a link for a free bridge w/ sonos purchase when you are referred by a friend. I’ll be your friend! Send me your email at nick at bonfatti dot net and I’ll send you the referral link.

JonathanJune 17th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

So when is this actually going to be released? It’s been two months now…

I’m trying to buy a Sonos system and it would be nice to have an idea if this is going to happen next week or next year.

NickJune 18th, 2014 at 7:57 am

if you’re interested, I can send you a link where you can get a bridge for free when you buy your sonos direct from sonos.com.

NickJune 18th, 2014 at 7:59 am

That’s because they have no way of showing you the ads you’d normally see on the desktop client or phone app. I agree about the shuffle mode, though – that would be pretty cool but it’s up to spotify to allow that usage.

NickJune 20th, 2014 at 7:02 am

The PLAY:5 doesn’t require a bridge if you plug an ethernet directly into it. If you want I can generate you a link with a coupon for a free bridge with purchase.

NickJune 20th, 2014 at 7:04 am

Update’s not available yet, but I can generate a coupon for a free bridge with purchase if you send me your email.

bjs1000June 21st, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I’m about to purchase a play 3 in Australia. Is it possible to qualify for the free bridge offer? Or do I need to order through website?

BradlyJune 22nd, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Any news or updates on how the testing is going and if this will be released in the near future?

NickJune 25th, 2014 at 8:20 am

I need your email address. You can email me at nick at bonfatti dot net if you haven’t already.

Michael BallJune 27th, 2014 at 1:39 am

Just purchased a play bar through my television dealer. Do I still need a bridge for installation or is new software in operation. Seems unfair to purchase hardware that will be obsolete soon.

nicka99June 27th, 2014 at 2:07 am

I dont think this release is just around the corner. I give it a few more months to appear. Also, if you plan on getting a sub or surrounds with the playbar then you MUST use the SonosNet wifi with one wired component (bridge or other sonos device) – this is a little mentioned limitation of using your own wifi for sonos. If you can wire your Playbar directly to your network then you dont need a bridge anyway.

Joakim JohanssonJuly 2nd, 2014 at 12:49 am

If possible, send one for me as well. Holding off my purchase of Sonos because I have to buy the bridge. One for free… now we’re talking :)

ArnColonJuly 4th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Hello Nick,

I have two people that are thinking of joining the Sonos family. Could I get a link please.

Oh I see your email now. I will send you an email.

NickJuly 4th, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Send your email address to nick at bonfatti dot net and I will be glad to hook you up with the coupon.

EduardoJuly 10th, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Any news on this? My bridge was stolen and now I can’t use my lovely Sonos. I’ve applied to the beta, but no news…

volarmcJuly 16th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Nick, can I get a coupon too. I have been researching the play 3 and the need for the bridge was holding me back as well. If I can get them both together I’m ready to buy. thanks.

Sonos Support TeamJuly 16th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hi Eduardo, no news to share currently. If you have another Sonos unit that you can wire directly to your network, it can function as a temporary BRIDGE for your other Sonos players. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call and we’ll be happy to help out: http://www.sonos.com/contact.

DMCJuly 17th, 2014 at 7:05 am

Any news on when this will be released? I want to buy a Sonos product and would prefer to not invest in a bridge until I have tried the product. The free bridge offer is not valid in Ireland :(

Sonos Support TeamJuly 17th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Hi DMC, no update on an official release time. Currently, you can wire any Sonos component, such as one of your players, into the network and it’ll setup the wireless Sonos network for others.

BradlyJuly 21st, 2014 at 9:17 am

This is a major bummer as the house I’m putting it into only has an Apple Airport Express with no ports to bring a cat5 out of. I was hoping it would be released by now but it looks like I’ll have to buy them a router along with a bridge.

You should change the blog post and say something along the lines of * this post was a little premature. We have no release date planned at this time. Sorry for any confusion.

Sonos Support TeamJuly 21st, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hey Bradly,

As stated in the article, we are currently doing testing on this with our extensive Beta Program and until testing is completed, a wired device is still required. When testing has been completed, we will let everyone know about the availability of this feature.

If this is something you are interested in testing, I encourage you to you apply for our Beta Program and take part in testing this feature first hand.

DennersJuly 26th, 2014 at 7:39 am

I have tried to apply for the beta testing and have heard nothing in reply. This leaves me without a working Sonos system as I have recently moved to a rented apartment with a wireless 4g portable router (no ethernet ports for the bridge). Can you tell me why I have heard nothing in reply from Sonos?

MikeJuly 29th, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Nick is there anyway you can send that link to me at mike at snapbooth dot com it would be much appreciated!

petercJuly 30th, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Just reading all about this feature but no updates on where the testing is at and updates on the software release. Can we get an update SONOS?

PhilippeJuly 31st, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Is there an update on when this innovation may be available please?
I’ve been holding on for a while now. I see the comments relating to a free bridge link, but I live in Australia.

Sonos Support TeamAugust 1st, 2014 at 8:35 am

Hi Philippe, we’re well into the testing stages for this update. We don’t have any updates with a firm release date to share at this time, but we’ll be letting everyone know as soon as we do. If you’re holding off on buying a BRIDGE, you can always setup one of your Sonos players to the router and use the system with the wired connection until this update comes out.

b4rtwAugust 2nd, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Any news on the Windowsphone app? I know you were considering making one, but its been quiet. Pls show us Windowsphone users the love and give it to us. Thank you!

PhilippeAugust 5th, 2014 at 12:44 am

Thanks for update, but…..my router is not in a convenient spot and I dont want to run obtrusive wires. Part of my question was “I see the comments relating to a free bridge link, but I live in Australia”. Is this possible or should I factor a “No” into my decision making?

Joakim JohanssonAugust 11th, 2014 at 3:52 am

I holding off my purchase of a Play:1 because I dont want to buy a bridge. If you apply for the beta program, are you guaranteed to get accepted?

Peter TsuiAugust 13th, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Are there still any more free bridge code. I currently have a sonos play 3 and am interested in getting a play for a bedroom and a playbar. Any words on when the new software update will come out?

JoãoAugust 29th, 2014 at 8:30 am

I have a large house, with 3 AP (3 wifi networks) so I can cover the entire house. All the equipments can see each other, regardless of the AP they are connected to. Do I need a bridge? Should I wait for the new software solution? Do I need to spend €50 a bridge? Will the bridge turn to be useless for me in a couple of weeks?

Niall HinesSeptember 1st, 2014 at 7:01 am

I have just bought a Sonos 1, and now have the dilemma of whether to get a bridge or wait until the update is out. Is there an ETA on this?

Free BridgeSeptember 1st, 2014 at 1:43 pm

a bridge is still needed for true wireless (aside from the ac plug) if you send an email to sonoscode at gmail dot com, I can send you a referral link for the free bridge

larryOctober 29th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Sonos, it I prefer to keep using the mesh network, will the latest software update stop me from doing so by default? It suits me to have a zone player plugged in2 the router and I think the mesh network is more reliable. Thanks

Sonos Support TeamOctober 30th, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hi Larry, you absolutely can keep using the dedicated wireless mesh network for Sonos. In fact, for existing systems we recommend leaving the setup as it is instead of switching to the new standard wireless only configuration. You can update your system and will have the option of setting up the wireless one day, but the system will continue to function as it is whenever you have one player wired to the network.

Thanks and enjoy your music.