Now Playing: Google Play Music on Sonos

Posted on April 10th, 2014 by Sonos Staff in Music On Sonos, News, Products

Available around the world – the music you love faster and easier than ever.

Biggie - ENWe do more than build software, we believe in it. We believe in its ability to bring out the best of any hardware and its potential to create the richest possible home experiences.

As we continue to invest in the way you experience and control your music at home, curating and managing an array of services across multiple rooms, the benefits of playing your music to Sonos directly from these very services is clear. In Google Play Music, we’ve found a great partner to bring this vision to life for the first time on a global scale. Together, we’ve created a music experience that shows how media, devices, and sound can seamlessly work together in the home.

Now available around the world, you can stream directly to Sonos from within the Google Play Music app on your Android device, or simply stream Google Play Music from your Sonos app to any Sonos player throughout your home.

All the music you love, all there is to discover, all together in one place:

• Blend your personal library – Google Play Music lets you store your personal music collection for free online (up to 20,000 songs) so you can stream all your favorite music from one place, to any room in your home
  • Discover more than 22 million tracks on demand
  • Create a custom radio station or try I’m Feeling Lucky radio and enjoy fresh music based on your listening habits with unlimited skips and no ads

Listening to the music you love just got even faster and more flexible:

• Enjoy all the features of your Google Play Music app in Hi-Fi sound by playing directly to Sonos from Android devices
  • Use the Google Play Music app to start a song in any room and control the volume without ever leaving the app
  • For full access of all your music services and multi-room control, use the Sonos app to stream all the music you love to any room

Google Play Music is now available on Sonos in 25 countries around the world. To get started, select Google Play Music from the services menu on your Sonos and log in with your Gmail. Android users can now play directly to Sonos from within the Google Play Music App on their device by selecting the cast icon.

Posted on April 10th, 2014 by Sonos Staff in Music On Sonos, News, Products

67 Responses to “Now Playing: Google Play Music on Sonos”

MakApril 10th, 2014 at 6:13 am

Great, leaving your iPhone users behind it’s the new Sonos strategy, it seems. Google Play Music has an iOS app too. Anyways, I’m really happy with the change of paradigm. I really hope to see my Sonos system been supported by Spotify Connect and Airplay really soon.

Frank HartApril 10th, 2014 at 6:33 am

Excellent news!! You guys rock! Thanks you for the efforts to make Google Play Music available on Sonos :-)

RyanApril 10th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The lack of support for the past couple of years has been such an inconvenience. I look forward to putting my Sonos system to its full potential.

GuestApril 10th, 2014 at 6:53 am

I see that this has been added to the Google Play app. Will it be added to the Sonos app as well ?

NodesApril 10th, 2014 at 6:57 am

This is great news, thanks very much Sonos. My system just became a whole lot more useful!
Although I’m not seeing an option to play direct to my Sonos from the GPM app yet, will this be phased in?

danApril 10th, 2014 at 9:00 am

how you make this work? I have the latest beta and play music doesn’t show the sonos players. what am I missing? Is this restricted to the US again?

Patrick Alain HofmanApril 10th, 2014 at 9:36 am

You have on install the latest beta version and google play music music service in the sonos app then install the old sonos app setup you’re sonos speakers then Google music service account in the sonos app and then install or update the beta link via you’re mail, let me know if it worked out , it worked for me!

danApril 10th, 2014 at 9:49 am

I can’t follow what you’re saying. I have the sonos beta installed, the play music service activated in beta. In non-beta, none of these are available. And if I install the non-beta, it does want to update but then the package cannot be parsed or some other stupid error like that. but people in other places say that this works in beta too not just in the official release. oh, well, typical of sonos, half-botched software release. Maybe by christmas time it will finally work as promised

happyApril 10th, 2014 at 10:00 am

Anyone still struggling just go into the settings of the sonos app find online updates and click. Hey presto. Google play music seemed to update itself and the car icon appeared. Click it and select sonos. Don’t know if this is working in the beta. if not go back to the current sonos app. I works flawlessly. Thanks sonos

David KnightApril 10th, 2014 at 11:04 am

I went back to the last email I got for the beta program and reinstalled. No idea if that is a later build but I can now see my Sonos units in Google Play.

danApril 10th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

this is weird. went back and forth between beta and official, tried to update the official but wasn’t able to, then suddenly, with the old sonos app, the sonos players started showing in play. they have to work some kinks out I think

Jose MarcosApril 10th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Great News!!!! Game changer!!!!.. About to buy a 6 connect:amp, 2 playbars, 2 subs and 4 play:3.

Sean GreenwoodApril 10th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

will this work with version 4.3 of the sonos software on pc as well like it does for pandora.

Sonos Support TeamApril 10th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Hi Eton Rifle, Google Music is available on any of our Sonos Controller apps, but the functionality of playing directly to Sonos isn’t part of the iOS Google Play Music app.

JugularApril 10th, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for listening to us. So thrilled. Now I will go out and buy that new Sonos speaker I was hesitant about.

PeterApril 10th, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Kudos Sonos. Not only should existing users be thrilled (+ the new app) but Google Play should open up a huge number of new customers.

The Eton RifleApril 10th, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I have the beta app installed, v26176020, but cannot see Google listed anywhere.

Bart van WissenApril 11th, 2014 at 1:38 am

Great! It would be awesome if this could somehow be added to the desktop google play app as well. I know it’s probably not trivial since it’s basically a web app, but surely it must be possible with some kind of browser extension.

Thomas HettenhausenApril 11th, 2014 at 4:08 am

Excellent. Tried it, and it works just as I wanted it. Now I love both Sonos and Google Play Music even more!

SuddyApril 11th, 2014 at 4:45 am

This is great. In the Sonos app though I am trying to work out if I am doing something wrong or the feature is just unsupported. When I am browsing an album by an artist in Google Music the only option I have to save it is to add it to my Sonos favourites. How do I save it to my Google Music library?

DXApril 11th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

So Is there a list somewhere with the “Certain Countries” ? Would help if we know we are just wasting our time.

DXApril 11th, 2014 at 12:54 pm

What else is new. I am starting to feel like a second no third class citizen. Disappointing how we support the ecosystem by purchasing there products and we can’t even get an explanation why we are left out of the circle.

aTomApril 11th, 2014 at 2:51 pm

So far I am loving Google Play. I can see I’m going to get a lot of use from the three month trial.Its my first time stepping outside the Pandora box.I had no idea what was possible.Thanks Sonos! I am having one issue though. I dont seem to be able to stream content from my mobile device through the Google Play music app. Whenever I try I get a playback error that says” Unable to play the song.Cant play a sideloaded song remotely.”

maxApril 12th, 2014 at 7:08 am

Thank you SONOS!

But, i would like to add a song, artist, album to my “google music” library too and not only to sonos favorits, because the sonos favorites are limited to 32 favorites only. When you will fix it, you will make me happy with 5* :)

Thank you sonos, again!

KevinApril 12th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

YES!!! I was so close to subscribing to Amazon cloud or buy a NAS to put more songs online. Google has nearly my entire collection. Thanks Sonos!!!

JoebotApril 14th, 2014 at 3:53 am

I can’t see my sonos components in the cast menu, just my chrome cast, any trouble shooting tips? Everything’s up to date…

Andre RuasApril 15th, 2014 at 8:01 am

Greate news! and greate move from Google!
Suppose Spotify will be loosing some premium subscribers…

The Eton RifleApril 16th, 2014 at 12:07 am

Hi again, still cannot see Google Play anywhere. Is it available in the UK?
BTW I tried calling customer services, and had over an hour of waiting time so gave up!

Sonos Support TeamApril 18th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Hi Joebot, you’ll want to make sure that all of your Sonos players and controllers are up to date so the play direct option will work. If you’re on a beta version of Sonos, please uninstall and reinstall the controller application on your Android device and then try once more. If you’re still having any trouble, please contact our Customer Care team and we’ll be happy to help further:

Sonos Support TeamApril 18th, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Google Play Music is available in the UK, so it should be showing up. Since you’re using the beta application, please uninstall it and reinstall using the latest download instructions.

Sorry to hear you weren’t able to speak with a technician. You can reach us by email as well if you still have any questions, we’re at

NickMay 13th, 2014 at 6:41 am

Are we supposed to be able to stream from Google Play our uploaded songs without the paid plan?

philJune 6th, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I signed up for google music…

i was working great but now I can only see my music and not all 25 million google songs…

I get this – Error getting stream URL for track.

Anybody have a solution?!

stuefiSeptember 5th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

any chance more apps will support this…like to use the music/podcast player i normally use, e.g. pocket casts – dont want to deal with your player, the ui is horrible

shane kennyOctober 22nd, 2014 at 1:59 am

You cannot stream content from your mobile through GPM. If you think about it it doesn’t make sense. You should upload the content to GPM and then stream it or just use the Sonos controller to play the local files

Erez LevinJuly 19th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

It seems like you can’t stream to multiple rooms concurrently from the Play Music app, only from the Sonos app, right? Would I be able to stream from the Sonos app to one Sonos speaker and my TV’s Chromecast simultaneously?

KiwiniAugust 18th, 2015 at 11:39 am

Will this feature come to the ios version of Google Music? This feature should be available with all apps. For example, I can stream free Spotify on my phone from the Spotify app but it won’t work on Sonos and you just get error saying to contact customer service. Google Music has free radio so I guess Apple won’t be eager to allow it