Introducing an Even Simpler Sonos

Posted on September 2nd, 2014 by Sonos Staff in News

Just start with a speaker.

Sonos 5.1

Everything we do is built on the belief that listening to your music at home should be as easy as possible without compromising on our legendary sound quality. Through software, we are able to continuously improve Sonos – making it easier, faster and more flexible for all, including those unboxing Sonos in their homes for the very first time.

Today, getting started with Sonos becomes even easier as we launch Sonos 5.1, a major software update that allows you to set up and run Sonos on your existing WiFi network. From now on, a wired connection to your router – or a SONOS BRIDGE – is no longer required.

Start with a speaker

Go from unboxing to jamming out in only a few simple steps. Start with a PLAY:1 at $199, your smartphone or tablet*, and connect to your WiFi. Then, simply add your favorite music services like Spotify or Pandora, and start streaming.

From there – you can easily expand your system. Add more speakers to other rooms at the touch of a button and control all your music at home from one place.

Simple WiFi setup, same rock-solid wireless:

Stream HiFi sound to any room in your home without dropouts, echoes, or delays. Our new software delivers the full experience people know and love from Sonos using your existing WiFi network. Following our largest beta test to date over the last several months, we’ve studied the performance across all kinds of home environments around the world to ensure the new WiFi-enabled setup meets our high standards.

The vast majority of new customers will now be able to use the WiFi setup, which works for all speakers within range of the WiFi router. But the dedicated Sonos network, which is only obtained through a wired connection to your router, remains the best way to ensure the most bulletproof experience, specifically for the following scenarios:

• Homes where the WiFi signal doesn’t reach every room in which you may want to put a speaker
  • Sonos 3.1 and 5.1 home theater setups still require a wired connection; a standalone PLAYBAR does not

Existing customers using a BRIDGE or another wired component to the router are already benefitting from a dedicated Sonos network, and shouldn’t change a thing.

Boost your signal

Alongside the development of today’s software update, we’ve also been working on an even more powerful wireless accessory as an alternative to the BRIDGE called the SONOS BOOST. Available later this year for $99, the BOOST applies over a decade of learning about the varying needs of our customers and offers enterprise-grade wireless capabilities to serve even the most challenging home WiFi environments. Look for the BOOST’s official launch in the coming months.

To find out more about getting started with Sonos, go to:

*For information on Sonos 5.1, including compatibility and supported devices, please visit:

Special thanks to our thousands of beta testers from all over the world who helped us bring our vision for an even simpler Sonos to life.

Posted on September 2nd, 2014 by Sonos Staff in News

66 Responses to “Introducing an Even Simpler Sonos”

Fossan GjengenSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 6:50 am

Great upgrade!
Will the Sonos devices extend the WLAN as well, or will they all just tag into the nearest AP?

parkerjhSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 8:01 am

Great news- but I still have my fingers crossed and EAGERLY anticipating the day that I read the blog post with the solution to the library size limit of 65,000 tracks which is just crippling to many users these days. Cheap HD storage and 1TB drives for $75 make collecting 65k tracks child’s play.

nicka99September 2nd, 2014 at 8:18 am

My understanding is that this literally replaces only the connection between the router and the nearest sonos device to the router. The communication between that first device and any other sonos components still takes place over the ‘sonosnet’

nlightsSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 8:37 am

A new device like the SONOS BOOST would be perfect to store the information of more then 65.000 if there is really no way to archive this on the existing hardware. However I#M waiting for a fix of this issue for a long time!

AgroliSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 9:37 am

Do you think there is a little chance to find an Audio Input on this new Boost ?

Just to be able to transfer sound from TV, PC, or whatever on the sonos network without the need of a huge (and cost effective) Play 5, Playbar or Connect in the direct vincinity…

RYANSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 9:53 am

Huh? I didn’t know about any limitation? Don’t see that ANYWHERE on their site? I was just about to buy a system for my new house but have 100K+ tracks. I don’t think this will work for me. I’d like to know if this will be “fixed” sometime soon.

David Dawson ♫September 2nd, 2014 at 9:56 am

Let´s hope Sonos is using the stats it assuredly gets from the ?millions? of rooms using it globally to know what it needs to do and please the vast majority of customers. And hold the competition at bay.

NKboroSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:06 am

I also would love to add my TV output to my Sonos system without having to purchase an expensive and unnecessary Sonos device just to do this (I already have a sound projector on my TV so I am not going to buy a Playbar – but there is still an opportunity for you to sell to me if you come up with ‘reasonably’ priced ancillary system components). Come on Sonos, we Sonosite’s are loyal chaps and chap-esses (I have had Sonos for over 11 years and have grown my system significantly – and at great expense – throughout that time). Show us back some loyalty with some reasonably priced minor add-on enhancement components that make our systems near perfect. A simple input device like a bridge or boost that we can connect another audio source in.

Sonos Support TeamSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hello parkerjh,

We have not officially announced any plans to increase the 65k track limit. This is a hardware limitation based on the amount of memory on the Sonos components which can be allocated for storing our Music Index.

We do support other options to incorporate your music collection such as cloud based services like Amazon Cloud Player and Google Play Music. If you have any questions regarding your options, you can contact us and we’ll be happy to go over them with you:

Take a look at this page and add your vote too if you have done so already to keep updated on this feature:

parkerjhSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:17 am

great thanks- and yes, I’ve been subscribed to that topic for the last two years and definitely voted too! ; )

nyceboSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:32 am

This would be good for Sonos to clarify. Without the bridge, will Sonos speakers still communicate with each other in order to create a ‘daisy-chain’ connection that stretches to rooms that do not have good wifi signal reception from the router? Anyway, it’s neither here nor there as I already am using the Bridge.

Sonos Support TeamSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hello nycebo,

In locations where your WiFi devices have a strong connection back to your router, you’ll be able to enjoy the convenience of connecting Sonos to your existing WiFi network. If you’re setting up Sonos in an environment where WiFi devices may have trouble maintaining a connection, wiring a Sonos BRIDGE or player is recommended. This will allow your Sonos players to take advantage of a separate, dedicated Sonos network.

In your case, since you already have your BRIDGE hardwired to your router, you are currently experiencing the benefits of having that dedicated wireless network.

jazzbythebaySeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:51 am

Dear Sonos team, there’s been a lull in new product announcements this year. I still don’t know what new Sonos component I”ll add to my system this holiday season.
Would you just give us a cool wireless outdoor speakers to get the same great sound without running wires to the backyard? Or a wireless accessory that’d let us connect existing outdoor speakers (like the cool Bose FreeSpace 51 environmental speakers to an existing Sonos system?

OlofSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 10:55 am

Why dont you just make a add on product that resolves this problem? I totally convinced that sonos would make a profit and existing products would not be outdated or affected in any way. I am so sick of your total unvillingness to solve hos issue!

cbl1September 2nd, 2014 at 12:13 pm

If you setup the system as a wireless only and have no bridge device Sonosnet will be shut down completely. All units will connect back to your router like normal wireless devices. You will not get Sonosnet extended range and all Sonos traffic will filter through your router.

CraigISeptember 2nd, 2014 at 12:59 pm

This is really good to know. I almost bought a complete system — and I would have been ticked off if I hadn’t seen this first. Thanks!

JimBSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I like the idea of new product announcements. Now if I could have wireless outdoor speakers around my pool…!

drkarate49September 2nd, 2014 at 2:33 pm

From what I understand, with BOOST I can now setup a SONOS system on my boat in the slip if the marina has wireless and I do not need to have an actual hardwire attached to the wireless router ?

Rebecca LinickSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 2:38 pm

This seems great and all, but where can I return my bridge now? It’s only been 6 months and now it’s totally useless.

BillSeptember 2nd, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Sonos Customer Support – congrats on the new technology. Can you let us know when the 65,000 track limit will be increased as that is one key need many have

Gav - GlasgowSeptember 3rd, 2014 at 4:00 am

You think that’s bad, I bought mine 2 weeks ago but not directly from Sonos or I could have returned. I purchased from a authorised retailer but they have a different returns policy from Sonos and I can’t return if goods have been used….which the bridge has for 2 weeks!

russhSeptember 3rd, 2014 at 4:31 am

From what I understand, you won’t need Boost for this… just the new software update applied to your device(s). The new software allows any Sonos player to see your wifi. I always take one or more players with me to rented beach houses… and it will be nice to not have to find the router and incorporate my Bridge!

Sonos Support TeamSeptember 3rd, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hi, russh is correct here. The new update teaches your Sonos players how to connect to home wireless networks. The connection from the marina may be strong enough for your players to connect to, but it’ll depend on the wireless environment. Give it a try and if you have any questions please feel free to ask:

TraderSeptember 4th, 2014 at 2:41 am

Really guys, more than 65k songs? you would need to listen to 100 songs a day for and entire year just to get to 36k, i understand why u want it but not really necessary

Sonos Support TeamSeptember 11th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Hello Keith,

Definitely update your system, Sonos always recommends that you keep your system updated to the latest software.
If you currently have a BRIDGE plugged into your router, we recommend maintaining that connection. The wired Sonos device that plugs into your router creates a dedicated wireless network for your Sonos speakers. There is no need to unplug your BRIDGE from your router – you are currently experiencing the benefits of having a dedicated wireless network.

Nick.September 23rd, 2014 at 8:21 am

Great just got sonos 1 today. No bridge hope it works as my router is in the hall outside my bedroom. So 1 wall to go through!

Jason HauckSeptember 26th, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Yeah, what about those of us who invested before you figure out how to do it more simply? My home Wifi has PLENTY of bandwidth to support audio streaming, do we get any opportunities to get our money back on the Bridges we purchased?

TWOctober 3rd, 2014 at 7:58 am

What are the chances the new Boost bridge will support Airplay? My guess is zero as Sonos has had years to address this shortcoming…hello Bose SoundTouch Series II.

Brian O'GradyOctober 4th, 2014 at 3:36 am

Hi. I have two bridges each wired to two routers in my home network (thick walls). Curious as to how these bridges work with each other. Is one the main connector to the Internet. Does the other connect with the first over my wired network? Do my speakers automatically pick the best bridge/speaker to connect to.
I have two 3:s a 1 and a Playbar

Sonos Support TeamOctober 7th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Hi Brian,

Hopefully one of those routers is acting as an access point, and not creating a second network. If that’s the case, how does the second router get internet? If you have the second router wired back to the first router, then players around your second BRIDGE will use that wireless to connect to the internet.

There are several potential ways your system’s operating right now, so if you have any issues or questions I’d recommend giving us a call on our Support Line. A technician will be able to assist further over the phone. You can find out contact information and hours here:

DonOctober 20th, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I have a sonos speaker system that works perfectly inside my apartment — but I can not get a speaker to connect outside — even though it is closer to my wifi … am I doing something wrong? A real bummer on my roofdeck. Thanks!

KayNovember 30th, 2014 at 7:25 am

Really frustrated have added a play 1 to an existing bridge and play 5 and it won’t work. Whit light yes, red flahing light on pressing play and plus but still no go.

DennisDecember 29th, 2014 at 2:39 pm

This is the most frustrating system I have no music no all of a sudden I can’t get any connection to my speakers and no connection to my bridge. Useless.

steveJanuary 10th, 2015 at 3:26 am

Just seen this blog, I’ve had loads of issues with conection to my system from my phone or tablet etc. Every time I tried to conected I had to set it all up pressing the 2 buttons etc it would conected sometimes but then drop after 5-10mins. Just unplugged my bridge and tried conected it with out it and works a treat. Conected stright away with out the bridge, ive had this issue for about 6 months and was going to give up with Sono. Hope the conection keeps working.

Emilio JEJanuary 20th, 2015 at 4:04 am

We have 45 zones i not like to create 2 separete account or network when sonos update devices limitation uo to 32?

Sonos Support TeamJanuary 27th, 2015 at 8:40 am

Hi Emilio, unfortunately that limit is a networking limitation on UPnP devices in communication at one time. We’d love to see systems with that many zones though, so thanks for the feedback.

Fossan GjengenFebruary 12th, 2015 at 5:33 am

I really don’t get your point here.. I was merely asking if the Sonos extend my ordinary wifi net, as I currently have a great Sonos coverage in my garage, but the WiFi is almost non-existent and I like to be able to connect to the net with a non-Android based device. Now I know! :)

woodyMarch 3rd, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I already have a Sonos Bridge network along with a Play 3. Can I just add the Play 1 into the system and control it individually with the existing Sonos Android app?

Flp1000March 4th, 2015 at 3:38 pm

There’s definitely no limitation with Spotify… go for it, the two softwares were made for each other 😉

Sonos Support TeamMarch 6th, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Hi Woody, absolutely. You can have as many as 32 different Sonos components all active on the same Sonos household. The app can switch between the rooms, or group them together so they all play the same thing at the same time.

caoimheMarch 8th, 2015 at 4:43 pm

This makes little sense. I have a wireless router with a boost wired in. I have 7 players and one sub hung off this network. PRESUMABLY the boost is the wireless network that everything is connected to. Consistently having problems with disappearing rooms or playbar associated sub and paired Play1 units acting freaky. Added a second playbar on a second TV today and on the controller app (on an iphone 5) the other playbar disappeared.

So seems to me I need to unplug everything and start over. The question is do I make the sonos devices use an expanded wireless network using a Linksys AC1900 wireless router, extend it’s range with compatible range extenders made by Linksys OR do i plug the boost into this router (more centrally located) and then add each sonos player to the boost supplied wireless network? If sonos is truly a mesh network and I have players throughout the house then which am i going to have the best service with? When I pull up the controller app and it doesn’t immediately “see” all devices in the house, ya gotta wonder if the boost really puts out a strong enough network to cover the house (or at least feed the mesh created by all 9 devices).

Which is it?

Seems sonos should add something to its app to show signal strength of the boost supplied network so I can walk around and “see” that there is enough signal strength for each sonos device to connect to the mesh network.

caoimheMarch 8th, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Maybe sonos will take it back and give you equal credit on another play device. That would be nice. It appears that a playbar with paired devices or a sub still has to be connected back to the router OR a boost or bridge has to be used, so not totally useless unless you not messing with 3.1 or 5.1 setup

SeniorLDMarch 11th, 2015 at 11:48 pm

almost a year passed now since Marc Witten joined Sonos. What is the guy doing? where is a universal windows app? where is xbox music on sonos? i`m so fat up with that crappy windows controller. i feel completely mucked up! and sonos? Just silence – even Apple communicates better with customers.

Sonos Support TeamMarch 18th, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Hey Caoimhe,

The BOOST was designed to improve the Sonos mesh network. It has the ability to neutralize interference and maintain a stronger connection between Sonos units themselves. Keep in mind that it does not expand your existing home network; thus, if you are outside the range of your home router with a controller, you will not be able to see the Sonos system. What we sometimes see is that extenders are creating their own network and not truly extending the existing one, so your smart device is actually switching networks and losing the system. You’ll want to double check the settings of your Linksys extender and ensure that it’s set to ‘bridge mode’.
If you are in close proximity to your main router and still having problems losing connection, there could be other factors at play. I’d recommend that you call into our support line and work with a technician live to get your system back up and running properly. Here is our contact info, please give us a call when you get the chance and we’ll be happy to take a look:

MikeApril 8th, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hi.. Does anyone here know if it´s possible to use other speakers than sonos speakers to the sonos system? Maybe a converter of some sort to make bluetooth speakers work with the wifi signal i understand sonos uses… Thanks.

penguinstormApril 26th, 2015 at 9:45 am

Airplay & Sonos systems are somewhat philosophically different. Airplay pushes decoding at the computer and streams uncompressed audio to the device. Because devices are simpler, they can be substantially cheaper.

The downside is that this consumes substantially more bandwidth which sometimes leads to problems. Airport Express’ are legendary for playback gaps and skipping, some of which may be related to bandwidth.

The ReplacementsJuly 21st, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Great question as I have a Play 5 and a Play 3 using a Bridge 2 Zone Bridges and I was thinking of getting the newest Tone for our bedroom… The problem I think now is I am starting to tax my wireless as I have other devices on as well, and I think the Bridge configuration is messing with my new Airport Extreme. So can I use the Play 5 and Play 3 and new Tone without using the bridges. Frankly this simplifies things.

Question 2: I am thinking of using Sonos or BlueSound up at our lake house as the sound quality and Dacs seem more suited for my listening taste which is quality not quantity, do you guys have any new devices coming out that will be able to stream higher Rez files? From reading your link, is the only way not too use a Bridge configuration is to turn off your security settings? That’s won’t work of me. :(

Sonos Support TeamSeptember 4th, 2015 at 4:51 pm

As mentioned above, the wired connection is taking advantage of the dedicated Sonos mesh network. You can however, switch over the wireless configuration and shouldn’t need to disable any wireless security features to do so. If you have more questions regarding this or need help walking through this process, we’re happy to discuss this with you. Please contact the Customer Care team and we can see what options are best for you and your environment: