Coming soon: New Controller apps for Mac and PC

Posted on March 15th, 2012 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

Sonos Controller FamilyYou asked, we listened. Our team has been working ‘round the clock to bring you two brand spanking new Sonos Controller apps for Mac and PC. The new Controllers will make it easier than ever to find, control and play music in any room—right from your favorite desktop or laptop.

What can you look forward to? For starters, faster access to music. The improved Search feature will let you quickly find artists, albums, songs, and stations from your music library, Internet radio and music services using a single search box.  And you can use the better-than-ever, drag-and-drop interface to add one or multiple songs, albums, or playlists to your queue, room, or group of rooms for instant music gratification.

The new controllers also offer instant volume control, with a one-touch Party Mode that lets you set the volume in your grouped rooms simultaneously. Plus, we’ve brought some of the hidden perks of Sonos front and center, with the Sleep Timer and Alarms now accessible from the main window. And speaking of looks, the new Controller apps will give your eyes something to smile about.

But the feature we might be the most excited about is the new Mini Controller, a slick, pop-out of album art that lets you control your music while you’re working in other apps, so now it’s even easier to control any music you want—any way you want.

Sonos Mini Player
Control your way with the new Mini Player.

The update will be available next week, but you can get a sneak peek at the new controllers in action right now—just check out the video below. Also, if you haven’t updated your OS in a while, now’s the time! Sonos 3.7 requires Mac OS X 10.6 or higher and Windows XP Service Pack 3 or higher, including Vista and Windows 7. If you’re using an older OS, be sure to upgrade before you update your Sonos Controller.

And there’s more! We’re also giving away a house full of Sonos, so you can enter for a chance to win a bunch of free gear to go with our new free Controller apps. Click the pic below for all the details. (Note: Sweepstakes is open only to residents of the United States, Canada, France, Germany, United Kingdom or New Zealand.)

House Full of Music Sweepstakes

Posted on March 15th, 2012 by Sonos Staff in News, Products

141 Responses to “Coming soon: New Controller apps for Mac and PC”

KSRAVMarch 15th, 2012 at 8:56 am

what I would like to see,  a memory for your last location when browsing your own music. I hate having
to start at the top of my list every time. other than that YIPEEEE!

JonathanMarch 15th, 2012 at 9:15 am

Looks so nice! The mini player is a good idea, also!

I’m really exited to get a closer look :) Thanks!
(I also wrote an email because i love the iPad Controller app and ‘hate’ the Desktop App – and just two months later….. )

Rob BurnsMarch 15th, 2012 at 10:18 am

So cool. Nothing worse than losing a handpicked playlist in the current controller before you save it. Seems like this will be much easier to navigate, and more intuitive for the family who complain that finding music they want is painful right now. This seems to be a passion for you guys rather than just another product. I continue to be delighted that I went with Sonos.

Mark PendleburyMarch 15th, 2012 at 10:30 am

A super cool feature would be an App for Spotify. I use my Sonos exclusively through Spotify so having an app embedded in the Spotify software to control my Play:5 directly would be amazing. Although I can browse my playlist and search Spotify from within the Sonos controller it’s much easier to discover new music and creates playlists from the Spotify client.
Now that Spotify has it’s apps API maybe this is possible?

InnershellMarch 15th, 2012 at 11:17 am

When will it handle searching by Artist +AND+ Title as a starting point for combo searches? Nothing worse than looking for a particular song and having all the remixes/remakes/tributes by other artists show up instead of the original artist who first released the song.

InnershellMarch 15th, 2012 at 11:35 am

This is secret code for “it is being heavily considered” or “we are working hard on it”.

Funny! Sonos is the only reason this household has not moved to Windows Phone devices.

SonosMarch 15th, 2012 at 11:40 am

No code, really–more that we don’t announce specific timelines. :) However, we know that Windows Phone is an oft requested app, so rest assured it’s on our radar.

Js1952March 15th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Nice improvements – the current controller is a bit cumbersome.  Like the other commenter, I tend to use one service more then the others so it would be nice to set that as the default search.  I love that partial word searches are now possible.  Please provide the simplified UI for the iPhone app as well!

PhilMarch 15th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

The one and only thing i request is the possibility to play Spotify using the Spotify UI (wireless.. not using cable..). Seems like the new release won’t allow that.. really disappointed. Does this mean i will have to move to Apple and airplay or do you have something coming soon? Sure, the new interface looks better than the old, but you are still far away from beating Spotify in UI design i’m afraid..

SonosMarch 15th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hello Phil–This update does not include the functionality you mention. Such a feature is not outside the realm of possibility for Sonos, and we are always looking to improve our software. However, we do not announce timelines.

MyrenggubbenMarch 15th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thanks. IMHO, the problem is not switching between the categories, but rather finding a song without having to browse through a gazillion artists/albums. It is really time consuming to find songs with common titles the way it is today. This should be technically easy to implement too. At the very least, a way of filtering the search result would be nice. Can you please consider this? Thanks

DaveMarch 15th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Will it be possible to control the App (for Mac) via the Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac? I mean with the PLAY/PAUSE SKIP … Buttons on the Apple Keyboards (just like iTunes, Spotify)…. ? Would be a ‘nice to have’.

ProgrammerMarch 15th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Is there any way you make Sonos controller able via a universal remote? Or make it with IR commands so myself as a Control programmer can learn the codes and use 1 remote?

Tommy NankoMarch 15th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Another cool feature for us custom integrators would be if the controller apps (mobile/desktop) could remember more than one system, as in selecting systems; family 1 family 2 and so on. We have to date probably 20 households and growing that have Sonos installed and every time we come to do maintenance or some other thing else we have to reset the controller app on the phone or desktop and go to a basement of a closet filled with junk and link the systems again.

Therron BrownMarch 15th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

What about locking a zone so other people in house cant send music to the speaker you are listening to? My kids send their music to my Play5. Please give me a master password feature and user password feature to lock zones in use.

JbMarch 16th, 2012 at 12:27 am

Can your Desktop Controller sort / search a library / folder to discover “new” or “recently added” files? Been asking for this for years …

Tim HollandMarch 16th, 2012 at 2:12 am

Awesome! thanks. Current desktop controller is a pain in the ass and feels like a win95 app.
An app inside Spotify as suggested earlier would indeed be a great extension!

When using Spotify, is there support for the related artist feature?

dwahliMarch 16th, 2012 at 3:37 am

As already asked but not answered, will this new controller also fix the issue of Spotify not playing SOME linked tracks on playlists once and for all?

Sonos Support TeamMarch 16th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Dwahli – If you could, please send an e-mail to support@ and CC: Clay – I’d love to get in touch about this issue – we’re pretty sure this should be resolved but if not I’d like to get an example!

C BorekMarch 17th, 2012 at 5:32 am

My two cents is that I strongly agree.  Spotify’s interface is a great way to find songs.  It’d be great to integrate that functionality into the Sonos controller.

Smithers657March 17th, 2012 at 6:52 am

Linking up sonos with soundcloud would be a great fit, is it something that has been considered?

DenMarch 17th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hope not losing my radiolist anymore in this new version, and faster xs to the radio favorites would be nice. Can’t wait to update.

AndrewMarch 18th, 2012 at 4:40 am

Will the centralised search facility make it to the iPhone / iPad apps some time soon as this is a much needed feature

Zoar RoadMarch 18th, 2012 at 9:15 am

Why can I no longer see my list of Artists Channels under Rhapsody Channels then ‘My Channels’.  Seems to have disappeared!  It is what I use to listen to music in my home…Thanks for everything…its a great system.

DanMarch 18th, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love my Sonos, but my biggest issue right now is the fact that I can’t star Spotify songs directly from the Sonos controller. Starring is really important to me, and the only way I can get it done is to pull up the song/album simultaneously in Spotify. Will we be able to star Spotify songs now?

vallgauMarch 19th, 2012 at 3:30 am

I’ve seen on the SF Musichackday wiki that a guy (named fnork) started to develop a spotify app called sponos. You guys should contact him (if not already) to work on the spotify app for sonos. That could be a huge improvement for sonos system !

SonosMarch 19th, 2012 at 9:18 am

Unfortunately, this update does not change the Spotify functionality at all, but we are constantly working with all of our music partners to optimize the experience on Sonos, and this is on the feature request list.

Loic_appartMarch 19th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hi, tanks a lot for the update… waiting for the release.
Any chance to have an update for the android tablet?

PhilMarch 19th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

There are already 3rd party apps like andronos for Android, but that’s not what I ask for. I want to be able to play Spotify, and any other streaming service, using the original streaming service’s user interface..

the fact that u have to use Sonos’ gui makes me wonder how Sonos will be able to compete with Apple Airplay. Also surprised that Sonos hasn’t addressed this issue already since I can find posts from early 2010 requesting the exact same functionality.

Now the competition is here and it is about time to step it up.

B_buer02March 19th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

What I’d really appreciate is the landscape mode in the android app to have just the same usability as the ipad app. When will it be available?

DrewMarch 19th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My SONOS app no longer works after the new iOS update to my iPhone and iPad. Is there a planned patch in works? When will it be released?

Sonos Support TeamMarch 19th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Drew – Can you verify which versions of the app you’re running and what the messages state explicitly?  Also, can you make sure you’re on the same wireless network as your Sonos, sometimes during an iOS update it can jump.

FrankMarch 20th, 2012 at 1:54 am

Ok, just installed the new SONOS Controller on Mac Air, OSX, 10.7. It refuses to show my Spotify playlists. This is as bad as bad can be. Comes with an error message (Dutch) “Kan niet bladeren door muziek”. (Cannot page through music).

Mike_nMarch 21st, 2012 at 12:26 pm

why cant we have a random play?! it’s the one thing i really miss. the rest of sonos is totally awesome!

HansMarch 23rd, 2012 at 9:26 am

One thing I dont understand is why its have to be so hard to add a song to a sonosplaylist?
Why is it not possible to drag a song to a playlist or right-click on a song and choose add to playlist.
But anyways, thx for the update, much better 😉

SonosMarch 23rd, 2012 at 9:36 am

With the update to Sonos Software 3.7, we inadvertently removed the ability to tweet from the controller. We are working to resolve this issue.

Andrew CopelottiMarch 25th, 2012 at 5:01 am

when I upgraded to the new Mas OS I am no longer able to connect to my iTunes library using the sons controller.  I get a message that says “Unable to play…access to //Macintosh-4/Music denied”  What do I need to do?

PhilipMarch 30th, 2012 at 6:22 am

I use Linux.  I would love to see a lunix Desktop controller.  It’s can’t be that hard to implement.

JohanMay 6th, 2012 at 4:20 am

I lost the spotify in my sonos controller – and now I am not able to add spotify on add music. I simply cannot find the spotify logo or service – same goes with WIMP – anyone that has had this problem?

Sonos Support TeamMay 7th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi Johan,

Try checking again, Spotify and WIMP should show again.  Do you know if the registration info for your system might have changed recently?  Music service availability is determined by region and it doesn’t appear as though your system was registered in the correct region.

If you continue to have problems, please contact us as

Sonos Support Team

WindowsSonosMay 12th, 2012 at 10:47 am

When are you going to do a Windows Phone app?   Microsoft is paying for developers to create apps and perhaps they will cover part of the development cost.  I bought a new phone for my wife and she cannot use our sonos.

ChoerenzMay 15th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

It is very frustrating that you don t support google music. The wy google automatically updates my new music would make it less cumbersome than having to copy the files to my drive at home.

Mike O'MalleyMay 15th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Any chance you can open up your API or protocol so that the community can build something?

MusicmanMay 18th, 2012 at 8:02 am

I am also longing for Google Music to be available in Sonos… I really hope that it will come soon!!

GuestMay 22nd, 2012 at 10:50 pm

A big problem that comes with the upgrade, or at least coincided with it, is that “all the music on earth” is no longer available. Depending on where you live, you might find yourself locked out of most of Tunein, while Spotify might not show up at all. I am not in the US so MOST of the radio stations do not play or don’t appear. It is self-censorship and a real bummer. How jazz is subversive, I’m not sure.
A smaller problem is that the controller doesn’t really fit on the screen of a Macbook Air. It doesn’t seem it can be adjusted.

Sohail SomaniMay 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 am

It doesn’t work for the volume as far as I can tell. It would be awesome if we could use Fn+Volume or something similar to control Sonos volume. It’s annoying to use the mouse!

Lumia 900June 9th, 2012 at 8:55 am

I have a Windows Phone.  Lack of an official app has prevented me from buying a sonos sytem.  Hope you get one soon!

BobJune 24th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

My fiancé wants to know if she can download the Sonos app on her iPhone and play her own stations? Is that possible? Would that conflict with the Sonos app on my phone?  Please let me know.

KnudlJuly 11th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

If Sonos had this feature, I wouldn’t hesitate to put it in my house. Right now, I’m considering something else because I don’t want my kids controlling the whole house’s music from their room.

jcrueltyJuly 31st, 2012 at 8:08 am

My dream is to listen to Soundcloud through my Sonos speakers… then life will be complete.

maZZooAugust 4th, 2012 at 10:00 am

Yes please !! Running on Phonos here, it’s pretty good. But would prefer an official app. Please have a look at the new Windows Phone 8 SDK. You can make a brilliant integration with it.

Further more, you must make a Windows 8 native app before October 26. Would love the abillity to make full use of my new Surface ;=)

FjukAugust 17th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Can you please just make it possible to route the audio from the *real* Spotify client to Sonos? It seems, ehh… suboptimal, to develop your own “sub-client” with less features than Spotify.

yodaveSeptember 7th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

What I’d really love is for songs starred in spotify to show up in my music library along with all of the other songs I own. One huge integrated music library which I can properly sort by artist would be awesome.

GroovySonosOctober 17th, 2012 at 5:08 am

Key Commands! Key Commands! Key Commands! Key Commands! CMD up/down for volume adjustments and play/pause on the spacebar please! :) Thanks

awexNovember 4th, 2012 at 1:53 am

awexNovember 4th, 2012 at 12:56 am

One more for Windows Phone 8 App. For a premium product like sonos it is a must have not to seperate and let users make there choice. Any news on this ? It is time to announce the launch after 8 month.

awexNovember 4th, 2012 at 12:58 am

And of course Windows RT App.
Prio 1: Windows Phone 8
Prio 2: Windows Surface / Windows RT

Sonos is a premium product and i think it is a must have for a premium product to offer windows phone apps.

Stoffe NorborgMarch 8th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Hi, I have a sonos system at home and was wondering if it is possible to stream sound from my DVD player on my PC to the sonos system and show the picture with a projector on a screen?

Nate WJuly 12th, 2013 at 9:25 am

+1 Why have Spotify on Sonos without ability to communicate your music prefs to Spotify. Please work with Spotify to include this feature request. Its the single most used feature of Spotify.

GmoneDecember 21st, 2013 at 11:06 am

Why is it so hard to find the actual download link???? I just bought a Sonos system and as I go to set it up, I’ve done multiple searches for it online and your news articles seem to dominate the search results. Boo.