On January 30, 1969, The Beatles play a lunchtime rooftop gig on top of the Apple building on Savile Row in London. Lasting for just over 40 minutes, it is the last time The Beatles perform live. The performance, which was filmed for the Let It Be movie, is stopped early by police after neighbors complain about the noise.
We’re honoring this historic day in music history with a playlist of songs that would have sounded a lot different had The Beatles never existed. Find the mix on Spotify (subscribe to listen on Sonos), or create your own version using the track list below.
Considering how many artists have been influenced by the iconic English rockers, this is by no means an exhaustive list–what songs would you add to the mix?
- “Turn! Turn! Turn!” – The Byrds
- “Hey You” -Pink Floyd
- “Changes” – David Bowie
- “I Want To Break Free” – Queen
- “Hey Joe” – Jimi Hendrix
- “Some Might Say” – Oasis
- “Mr. Brightside” – The Killers
- “Reptilia” – The Strokes
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Nirvana
- “Island In The Sun” – Weezer
- “Under Pressure” – Queen and David Bowie
- “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” – Elton John