It Happened In Music: The Birth of Grunge
On January 23, 1988, Nirvana records a 10-song demo with Seattle producer Jack Endino. It was this tape that made it into the hands of Jonathan Poneman, one of the founders of Sub Pop records. After hearing the demo, he offers to put out a Nirvana single.
This historic event set the Seattle sound into motion, which is why we’re honoring this moment with a playlist of Nirvana classics paired with a selection of tracks from their grunge contemporaries. Have your own grunge (or grunge-inspired) favorites? Add them to our collaborative Spotify mix. No Spotify? Create your own version of this playlist with the track listing below.
- “Come As You Are” – Nirvana
- “Hunger Strike” – Temple Of The Dog
- “Man In The Box” – Alice In Chains
- “Celebrity Skin” – Hole
- “Even Flow” – Pearl Jam
- “Heart Shaped Box” – Nirvana
- “Black Hole Sun” – Soundgarden
- “Plush” – Stone Temple Pilots
- “Lithium” – Nirvana
- “Suck You Dry” – Mudhoney
- “Nearly Lost You” – Screaming Trees
- “All Apologies” – Nirvana
- “Lake Of Fire” – Nirvana